Thursday, November 30, 2006

12 Days of Christmas (Hindi Style)

Got this from coolcat. This is guaranteed to crack you up:

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The 90/10 Principle

Common sense, this but it's a useful reminder, that our actions or rather reactions do make a difference:

Author: Stephen Covey

Discover the 90/10 Principle.

It will change your life (at least the way you react to situations).

What is this principle? 10% of life is made up of what happens to you. 90% of life is
decided by how you react.

What does this mean? We really have no control over 10% of what happens to us.

We cannot stop the car from breaking down. The plane will be late arriving, which
throws our whole schedule off. A driver may cut us off in traffic.

We have no control over this 10%. The other 90% is different. You determine the
other 90%.

How? ..........By your reaction.

You cannot control a red light. but you can control your reaction. Don't let people fool
you; YOU can control how you react.

Let's use an example.

You are eating breakfast with your family. Your daughter knocks over a cup of coffee
onto your business shirt. You have no control over what just happened.

What happens next will be determined by how you react.

You curse.

You harshly scold your daughter for knocking the cup over. She breaks down in
tears. After scolding her, you turn to your spouse and criticize her for placing the cup
too close to the edge of the table. A short verbal battle follows. You storm upstairs
and change your shirt. Back downstairs, you find your daughter has been too busy
crying to finish breakfast and get ready for school. She misses the bus.

Your spouse must leave immediately for work. You rush to the car and drive your
daughter to school. Because you are late, you drive 40 miles an hour in a 30 mph
speed limit.

After a 15-minute delay and throwing $60 traffic fine away, you arrive at school. Your
daughter runs into the building without saying goodbye. After arriving at the office 20
minutes late, you find you forgot your briefcase. Your day has started terrible. As it
continues, it seems to get worse and worse. You look forward to coming home.

When you arrive home, you find small wedge in your relationship with your spouse
and daughter.

Why? .... Because of how you reacted in the morning.

Why did you have a bad day?

A) Did the coffee cause it?

B) Did your daughter cause it?

C) Did the policeman cause it?

D) Did you cause it?

The answer is “D".

You had no control over what happened with the coffee. How you reacted in those 5
seconds is what caused your bad day.

Here is what could have and should have happened.

Coffee splashes over you. Your daughter is about to cry. You gently say, "Its ok
honey, you just need to be more careful next time". Grabbing a towel you rush
upstairs. After grabbing a new shirt and your briefcase, you come back down in time
to look through the window and see your child getting on the bus. She turns and
waves. You arrive 5 minutes early and cheerfully greet the staff. Your boss
comments on how good the day you are having.

Notice the difference?

Two different scenarios. Both started the same. Both ended different.


Because of how you REACTED.

You really do not have any control over 10% of what happens. The other 90% was
determined by your reaction.

Here are some ways to apply the 90/10 principle. If someone says something
negative about you, don't be a sponge. Let the attack roll off like water on glass. You
don't have to let the negative comment affect you!

React properly and it will not ruin your day. A wrong reaction could result in losing a
friend, being fired, getting stressed out etc.

How do you react if someone cuts you off in traffic? Do you lose your temper? Pound
on the steering wheel? A friend of mine had the steering wheel fall off) Do you
curse? Does your blood pressure skyrocket? Do you try and bump them?

WHO CARES if you arrive ten seconds later at work? Why let the cars ruin your

Remember the 90/10 principle, and do not worry about it.

You are told you lost your job.

Why lose sleep and get irritated? It will work out. Use your worrying energy and time
into finding another job.

The plane is late; it is going to mangle your schedule for the day. Why take outpour
frustration on the flight attendant? She has no control over what is going on.

Use your time to study, get to know the other passenger. Why get stressed out? It
will just make things worse.

Now you know the 90-10 principle. Apply it and you will be amazed at the results.
You will lose nothing if you try it. The 90-10 principle is incredible. Very few know and
apply this principle.

The result?

Millions of people are suffering from undeserved stress, trials, problems and
heartache. We all must understand and apply the 90/10 principle.

It CAN change your life!!!


Wednesday, November 08, 2006

MMU Pre-University 1998's Theme Song


Aaaahh...belaian jiwa (we always call it belakang kira, trying to be funny). When I was doing my Pre-University studies in MMU Malacca, this song played on the radio at least 10 times a day. Those were fun times. Studies werent as tough as the days to come. We could go bowling in Mahkota Parade in between classes though we were at Bukit Beruang. After exams, can go to Pantai Klebang, all the plays we did, all the concerts we organized and made a mess of:)) We could even go see meteor shower for the whole night and next day went for classes without sleeping. Though until today, I think I missed all the meteor that went across the sky that night:)) Not very good eyesight, I have. So thankful that the bunch of us still meet up for movies and mamak even after graduation and repeat all the stories we had again and again and again... Though some of us are now in UK, some will be going to Australia, some probably gonna get married and will be going nowhere:P, we can still look forward to fruitful friendships ahead!

p.s. I was also incidentally banned from driving my car into campus for a week then, thanks to a certain fella who is now CTO/CEO/CFO of his own startup company and he even hires a well-known car blogger as his employee:P

Mungkin Nanti by Peter Pan


Nice Malay song that I heard one of the band's in Shell IT performed during the finals of CBJ Idol. Couldnt forget it after hearing it. Here are the lyrics and chords (the original song is in A key):

G Bm
Saatnya tuk berkata
Mungkin yang terakhir kalinya
G Bm
Sudahlah lepaskan semua
Kuyakin inilah waktunya

Chorus : Mungkin saja kau bukan yang dulu lagi
Mungkin saja rasa itu telah pergi..

Reff : Dan mungkin bila nanti
Kita kan bertemu lagi
Satu pintaku jangan
Kau coba tanyakan kembali
Rasa yang ku tinggal mati
Seperti hari kemarin
Saat semua disini......


G Bm
Dan bila hatimu terbangun
Bangun dari mimpi-mimpimu
G Bm
Membuka hatimu yg dulu
Cerita saat bersamaku

back to chorus
back to reff 1x

Tak usah kau tanyakan lagi
Simpan untuk sendiri
Semua sesal yang kau cari
Semua rasa yang kau beri......


Thursday, November 02, 2006

European Masters In Informatics (scholarship provided)

For those who are interested in doing their masters in IT in Europe, the program I'm currently enrolled in is open for application again. Dateline is January 15 2007. Program is two years and you get 21,000 euros each year for living costs and tuition fees. If IT isnt your cup of tea, just go see the Erasmus Mundus program for other masters program;)